Re: Sports Coil Info

To: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Subject: Re: Sports Coil Info
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:31:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Edward Hutchinson wrote:

> I plan on installing the Lucas Sports Coil this weekend and, if it arrives
> today, a Crane Elec. Ignition.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1.  The info with the coil says to not use a ballast resistor with the
> coil. I can't find anything describing either what the resistor looks like
> or where it is located. I've checked Bentley Handbook, TRF, Moss and BV
> catalogs to see if there is anything showing this part. Nothing I could
> find. What do I look for and where do I look?
>
> 2.  With the coil generating a higher voltage, what type of spark plugs
> should I use? What should they be gapped?
>
> 3. While the instructions on the coil seem pretty straight forward, is
> there anything a person with just enough knowledge to be dangerous should
> watch out for?
>
> 4. Same question as #4 but regarding the installation of the Crane Elec.
> Ignition.

Well Ed, you didn't say what kind of car you have, but you may have a
Spitfire with a ballast resistor wire integral to the harness.  You will
need to bypass this wire (in a relatively minor rewiring job) to supply
12 volts constantly to the coil.  I forget exactly which wire that is at
the moment, but there are various write-ups on this you will find
helpful in the maintenance section of the VTR website [www.vtr.org].

Use whatever plugs you were using before, but regap them to .035 to take
advantage of the Sport coil's hotter spark.  And no, I never heard of
anybody getting hurt by a coil, unless you happened to spark it around
some spilled gasoline ... always a bad idea.

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire