Re: Braided steel brake lines

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Braided steel brake lines
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:30:38 -0700
Cc: "Charles Y. Farwell" <cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:

> Charlie,
> Since, as you say, they are less flexible, you should be able to loosen
> the end with the set nut and reposition the line so the bend is away
> from the parts that might rub.  That's what I did on my Spit lines.
>
> Joe Curry
>
> Charles Y. Farwell wrote:
> >
> >         I just purchased a set from Moss. They appear to be very high
> >         quality, but I'm concerned because they are less flexible than the
> >         originals, and they are lightly contacting the upper ball joint
> >         assembly at the top of the vertical link where they come off the
> >         calipers. I'm afraid to flex them too far, but I also don't think
> >         it's wise just to let them rub there.

Stainless steel/Teflon hoses do not tolerate abrasion at all well, and
if the line has been twisted (the hose nut not captured as the swivel
fitting is tightened), they will very likely fail early. We use a
_large_ number of such hoses in production, and the failures in the
field are directly related to abrasion and being twisted during
assembly.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....