Alternator and Light

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator and Light
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:31:19 -0400
I have been following the TR6 alternator thread with interest.  My TR4A
(currently
in restoration) always _seemed_ to run at a discharge when driving at
night.  The
AMPS meter seemed to go ever so slightly negative, and the turn signals
would
make it flick a little more negative as the signals blinked on.  I never
noticed the
Ignition light coming on in any way.

Two questions.  1)  Is it normal for the lights to bring the charging
system close to
discharge?  Maybe my regulator isn't doing its job.  2) If the drain on the
electrical
system exceeds the output of the alternator, should the ignition light on
the dash
definitely come on?  I never really knew what it was that made the light
come
on/go off!

-Tony Rhodes
'67 4A CTC73336L