Re: wiring oddity

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: wiring oddity
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:24:14 +1000
At 5:00 PM +1000 4/4/98, Peter Zaborski wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this? And more importantly, how
>can I resolve this as I would definitely like to have the stereo
>isolated form the action of the switch if possible.

Others have told you what is happening so I will just offer an alternative.
Buy an inline fuse holder and fit it with short leads and terminal
(circular or spade) connectors which will fit the bolt on the battery
clamps.  Fit it across the cut-off switch and install a fuse of your choice
(I use 20 A).  This is not quite a battery cut-off anymore, but it severely
limits the current which will flow.

I use it to ensure that I do not inadvertantly try to turn the motor while
repairs are in progress.  It sounds stupid, but it is easy to forget or
slip when turning the key to accessories or ignition in order to check
something.  It still works as a theft deterrent and is probably more
effective since the vehicle appears to fail rather than being immobilized.
If you need to properly isolate the battery, simply remove the fuse.  Keep
a plentiful supply of fuses on hand.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U