Re: Gap in the wings

To: Craig Smith <smi2685@ibm.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gap in the wings
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 21:35:57 GMT
Craig writes...

>Is it Taboo, or will it crack if I fill in the gap on the wings of my 72

Good question.  I made the mistake of thoroughly cleaning mine out
before a repaint three years ago. It was fine for about 12 months and
then rust bubbles appeared.  I surmised that what I "cleaned out" was
not just old paint but the factory's seam sealer.

Since the wing is only spot welded to the bonnet some flexing at that
joint seems inevitable.  I'll be repainting my car in the next month
or so and my plan <right now anyway> is to replace the missing seam
sealer.  My guess if that if you put anything non flexible in there
that it might indeed crack.

>The line doesn't follow anything on the car, it just stops at the doors.
>My feeling is that BL didn't fill it for ecomonic reasons, Right?

I think you're probably right with this.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits