Re: Sheet metal

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sheet metal
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 17:04:46 GMT
Malcolm writes...

>I'd hazard to say "no" on this one, because of the enamel on the metal.
>Of course, if there's a nice flat piece on the back with no enamel /
>porcelain / whatever on it, I guess it would be fine.  Hmm, I know someone
>whose washer just belched its guts out for the final time, I should take a
>look at it.  The drum itself is stainless, anyway...

The tops are often porcelain enamel and I agree this might pose a
problem.  Not sure about the rest of it.  I'd rather use a fresh
uncoated piece but this is so much cheaper.

>There's also many different types of steel-- so dryer steel may not have
>the same properties as fender steel!  Caveat Emptor...

I would imagine they'd be using plain old non-alloyed,  low carbon
steel for this stuff.  Whatever comprises the so called "high
strength" steel used in modern cars should probably be avoided.
I would also try to avoid whatever type is used in aftermarket exhaust
pipes and '58 Fords.  Neither has a life expectancy greater than the
ears on a chocolate easter bunny.  :-)

>Ok- time to quit is when the welds look good.  Now you know <g>

Thanks a lot! :-)

>BTW, are you MIG, fire, or stick welding?

GMAW....AKA Mig.  Currently using argon/co2 for the gas.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits