Re: Sheet metal gauges

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sheet metal gauges
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:48:19 GMT
Malcolm writes...

>The Canadian Tire store only have 18 and 22 ga sheet metal.  I think, once
>I get some practice welding, I will splurge and buy a 4x8 sheet of 20ga
>from Capital Iron ($60 cdn or so)

I've been running around the "plant" looking for discarded scraps of
metal for my projects.  Read years ago that washing machines and
dryers are a good source...not confirmed.

>Talked to my dad yesterday, we figured that paint would only be a few thou
>thick.  The surface is flat.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that the metal is
>20ga anyway...

Not sure about the b-post but the floor tunnel on my Spit is 20 ga.
along with all the exterior panels I've measured thus far.   I'm doing
a bit of "practice welding" on my spare front valences today.  My
interest in matching the thickness exactly has to with the fact that
I'm attempting to butt weld some patch pieces in place.
So far, the results are less than spectacular.  I realize that I
should be flanging these, but I'm the stubborn sort who doesn't know
when to quit. :-)

>I will be applying a lot of Galva Froid (or Spray Galv, or whatever I can
>get) to the inside of my panels, so in the end they'll be almost as
>"thick"-- and when I'm really rich I will do a proper BMIHT resto.  Right
>now my plan is to enjoy myself, and concours be damned ;-)
>-Malcolm

Ah....concours gets further away with each new burn hole. :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits