Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?
From: "Larry Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 09:59:42 PST
dirty_howi@yahoo.com wrote:

> hmmmm somewhere between i think, although the 1000 cc engines are good
> at driving the chain on the modern crotch rocket, the weight of your
> spit is well out of the torque range of the engine, (ever notice the
> fact that the rear gear on a kawi is about 14 inches in diameter and
> the drive gear 3???)  plus the bike weighs less than 600
> pounds....your spit curb weight is at least 1700...hmmm 1100 extra
> pounds...this could pose a problem...unless you like driving at
> 35...best bet is to find a reasonable engine block that would be cheap
> to rebuild, (honda civic 79-80) comes to mind...or bite the bullet and
> rebuild the spit engine,  that's what i did.....

Have to agree with the motorbike engin, it would blow up in a couple of
months, from all the strain.  I like the Honda Civic engin idea, but how
do you convert it to RWD, have you looked into this.  My frend has a 84
Honda Civic, and that a FWD 1.3.  He is aslo away for the month, leaving
his car on the road.  Hmmmm.....

By that raional if you can convert the Honda engin to RWD and put it in,
could I take one from the sporty Triumph Acclaim, and put that in the
spit, it would keep it all Triumph.

The other thing you may try is getting a Doly Sprint engin, and shoving
that in, it's a Half V8, 16v job.  Slant 4 they call it.   Mmmm, in a
Spitfire.

-----------------------
james, the only 2 problems i can find with doing this would be an
adapter plate or something similar to get the transmission bell housing
to mate with the engine,  and the fact that you would have to use an
electric fan...(here we go with the fan bit again),  a transverse mount
engine block is the same as a rwd engine block, the only differences are
in the transmission it'self.  and the fact that the car is FWD.  the FWD
cars have what amounts to the differential at the base of the
transmission housing...that and an electric fan like what's on the later
us spits, and voila your in business...and (at least over here) you can
get a perfectly good used japanese engine for under 600..the japanese
are required by law to change out the engine after i think 30,000 miles
or so  (someone more in the know please correct this, or i'll call my
daughter) and then they export the engines to the us, if you can find
someone locally in the pennysaver (local classified mag) that buys these
engines.  hell 30000 miles on a japanese engine isn't even broken
in...my honda civic that i had as a teenager (mom thought i couldn't
soupe it up)  went close to 500,000 miles before the timing chain broke
on it and it sucked a valve, didn't help i was doing about 110 at the
time on the freeway.

my .02 sheckles
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

larry,
1979 spitfire  #FM99248U currently up on jack stands, hoping to drive by
mid may....

65 thousand driveway miles, at least it seems that way from pushing it
around.

NOW ON THE WEB at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311 drop
a line and sign the guest book.

Murphys fourteenth Law of Combat...if the enemy is in range so are you.