Re: Re[2]: Problem d'jour

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Problem d'jour
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 10:55:36 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      Thanks Andy,
>
>      I already did maintenance on the ground cable. I guess I'll try the
>      positive side right down to the starter. There isi no corrosion at the
>      battery terminals.
>
>      Is it possible the solenoid is stuck?

The click sound is the solenoid. Chances are that it is not getting
enough current to fully engage... See, once the solenoid engages, you get
current flow through the starter motor and it should turn. There is also
the possibility that the internal contacts in the solenoid are corroded
and thus limit the amount of current that can get to the starter motor.

There is a chance that the starter motor is hosed in which case you will
either draw _lots_ of current (in the case of an internal short in the
starter) or practically no current (in the case of the starter having an
internal open circuit).

It's times like this that I wish I still had the ammeter of the early
TR6's. That little guage was real handy at isolating problems in the
electrical system...

>      Jeff

C ya,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |