Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?
From: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 00:54:24 -0600
Oh I don't know...
If I were you I'd think about finding someone who is parting out a ford
ranger.  Then you can get a Fuel injected V-6 and a 5speed all at once.
This is what I'd be doing to mine if I didn't have this convenient
V-8/4speed thing coming along.

>Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:15:27 -0800 (PST)
>From: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Engine swap in a 1500:  Good or bad idea?
>To: Spencer Fleury <boylston_st@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
>        triumphs@autox.team.net
>Sender: owner-spitfires@autox.team.net
>
>hmmmm somewhere between i think, although the 1000 cc engines are good
>at driving the chain on the modern crotch rocket, the weight of your
>spit is well out of the torque range of the engine, (ever notice the
>fact that the rear gear on a kawi is about 14 inches in diameter and
>the drive gear 3???)  plus the bike weighs less than 600
>pounds....your spit curb weight is at least 1700...hmmm 1100 extra
>pounds...this could pose a problem...unless you like driving at
>35...best bet is to find a reasonable engine block that would be cheap
>to rebuild, (honda civic 79-80) comes to mind...or bite the bullet and
>rebuild the spit engine,  that's what i did.....
>
>larry
>
>---Spencer Fleury  wrote:
>>
>> Hello lists:
>>
>> Some of you may remember my old thread about ring jobs and oil leaking
>> out of interesting places in my engine (like the dipstick tube, for
>> example).
>>
>> Well, fixing it is apparently going to exceed both my present
>> mechanical and fiscal capacities (someone told me once that a secret
>> to happiness is knowing your limitations - of course, he was much
>> richer and much smarter than I am, so it was easy for him to say).  My
>> father has suggested removing the engine that's in there now and
>> replacing it with a 1-liter motorcycle engine - either a Honda or a
>> Kawasaki, he says.  He claims it would be significantly cheaper than
>> fixing what I have now, and it would (he says) be sufficiently
>> powerful for the Spit.
>>
>> Have any of you ever heard of this being done before?  Is it one of
>> those flashes of brilliance my father occasionally displays, another
>> shred of evidence that the time has come for him to be forcibly placed
>> in a home, or something in between?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Spencer Fleury
>> '77 Spitfire 1500
>>
>> "Not so much a Spitfire as a Drool-Oil . . . "

Will

Will O'Brien
hobrien@webos1.com
will@students.missouri.edu