Re[2]: Deposit on car - non lbc

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Subject: Re[2]: Deposit on car - non lbc
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:09:37 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

   The "buyer" was a gentleman of maybe 30 years old. He was buying my  1971
Datsun 240Z a a toy. He already owns 3 of them. He wanted mine because it was in
better shape than any of his and he wanted to swap his hi-performance parts into
it.

The best suggestion/advice I've received to date is to NOT take deposits in the
future. This may force the potential buyer into quickly closing the deal knowing
he hasn't tied my hands. And, as was the case, if other potential buyers call, I
can still show it and sell it because I have no obligation. As I have learned, a
deposit means NOTHING to a buyer. I kept up my end of the deal; he didn't. I
suppose if things went to court, I'd have as good a chance "making" him buy it
as he would have getting his money back. Contracts can be oral or written and
money exchanged is a key factor in determining whether a contract was entered
into. I'm no lawyer, but I'll bet someone on this list is.

What I will do is keep his money until I find a buyer. If there is a sale of
some $$'s less than what I was offered, his deposit will make up the difference.
Who knows, maybe he'll change his mind about buying it (but I doubt it).

Thank you to everyone who had some input. It was all valuable.

Still living and learning,
Jeff