Re: conv. to alternator on TR4

To: TRAHMG <TRAHMG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: conv. to alternator on TR4
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:46:40 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, TRAHMG wrote:

> there's a lot on the web about the electronic mods needed to accomadate an
> alternator.... but what's the best way to go about mounting the thing?
> Specifically, is it best to get a pulley machined for the alternator to
> accomadate the tractor belt or is it wiser to convert the other pulleys to
> accomadate a modern, narrow belt.  Just started looking into this - figured i
> might as well ask someone who's tried it and tackled it b4 I go about messing
> up things on my own =)

With a bit of "massaging" a GM alternator will fit.  I think you can
remove the pulley off the generator and bolt it to the alternator.

BUT

The generator pulley is too big for the alternator, which means you have
to rev the motor a bit to get the red light to go out.  This is what I
have to do, which is a bit of a pain... also if your RPMs drop too low the
alternator may stop charging (red light on again...)

I'm going to have a new pulley machined out of aluminum... I like the wide
belt (it's a 60s thing), and then I can pass the old pulley on to someone
without one.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4