Re: Aussie Beeah (Beer)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Aussie Beeah (Beer)
From: "Andy" <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:19:48 -0500
Cc: "ArthurK101" <ArthurK101@aol.com>, "Allen Nugent" <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
In reviewing al of my homebrewing books (the ones I can find at the
moment) there are 3 types of bitter -- bitter, special Bitter, and Extra
Special
bitter. Each (respectively), has a higher Original Gravity (more sugar before
fermentation) ergo a higher alcohol content, hoppier (more bitter) and darker
than the one before. In the US fuller's ESB is imported and Red Hook makes
Ballard's ESB. These are all related to Pale ale (Bass Ale is a good one)
Pale Ale and ESB seriously overlap but pale ale tends to be a little stronger
but a little lighter in color.  The Styles Series book on Pale Ale and bitter
(which I can'differencet find right now) states that the styles are so close
they are one and the same and until recently the only difference was one
came in Casks the other in bottles.
Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about pale ales and
bitter.
Oh yes, the main difference between the lagers and the ales is where the
yeast ferments and the fermentation temperatures.
And the Czech's taught the Deutch how to put hops in beer. Pilsner comes
from Pils a Czech region. Budweiser comes from Budvar, Czech. Anheiser-
Bush bought the US rights to the name with the provision that the real
Budweiser would not be marketed in the US. The reason you can't get a real
Bud in the US.
Beer and Triumphs my two passions --- somebody stop me....  Sorry this is
so long.
Andy

Had to turn the brewery back into a garage for my two projects.

 On 04/01/98 10:58 AM Allen Nugent said...

>At 08:55 30/03/98 EST, you wrote:
>
>>Any Brits fill me in on why "bitter" - I actually find it rather sweet.
>
>It could have something to do with the fact that the Poms used to make
beer
>without hops, until the Germans taught them otherwise. Perhaps "bitter"
was
>the first variety of ale made with hops. It might also have something to do
>with the type of hops used.
>
>A bitter is usually, but not necessarily, more bitter than an ale of the
>same colour. (Some small blocks are bigger than some big blocks, too!)
The