SU H6's on TR6 (need vac adv. fitting).

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU H6's on TR6 (need vac adv. fitting).
From: "Peter J Barrance" <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:26:18 -0500
Dear listmembers,

By way of update on a project which I have embarked upon with my '71 TR6 (w/
TR250 engine as far as I can tell.)...

A while back I purchased some SU H6 carbs among some other parts from a local
seller. I was assured that they would work well on the TR6 engine. Well, my
Strombergs didn't seem to be working right (couldn't lean 'em out enough w/ the
adjustment) so I decided to look into fitting the SU's. I got discouraged cause
when I tried them against the car I could see that the 'twist' in the float
bowl arm wasn't going to sit the bowls level relative to the horizontal plane
in this application. (Incidentally, I think they're TR3 carbs. By the way -
does anyone know - do external float bowls have different twists in them
according to the application? I.e. might an SU H6 as fitted to a TR3 vary
compared to an Austin Healey, etc. in this respect? What I'm driving at is that
the 'manifold angle' might be different for different cars.)

Anyhow - although I haven't got anything finalized, the car does at least seem
to run and idle OK with these carbs. So I guess as long as you are not 'way
off' perhaps it's OK. But the real question I'm coming to is this... anyone
know the best place to get a vacuum advance fitting for this carb? I.e. -
there's a port on the bottom of the carb body w/ a tapped hole to receive a
threaded fitting, which I would install and attach the vac. adv. distributor
pipe to.

Maybe these might be some options -

1. If someone knows what kind of thread that would be, I got see if I could
find such a thing at a parts store.

2. If anyone knows anything about whether a TR3 etc. would have this type of
fitting, and if that should be available from TRF etc.

Any input related to any of these matters appreciated as always! The car's
itching to come out of the stable...

Thanks a lot!

Pete