Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire

To: "Nikki MW1" <NikkiMW1@aol.com>, <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:21:05 -0800
Nikki,

Sounds like the starter  Bendix is kaput. The Bendix is responsible for
"throwing" the starter gear forward and into contact with the flywheel
gear. This condition is usually progressive as you have indicated. Short of
tearing the starter down and attempting to unstick the Bendix your best bet
is to repalce the starter. Not a difficult proposition and you can usually
get a rebuilt at local foreign auto parts or through any of the big three
suppliers w/in 3 days.

Dean