Re: GT6+ rotoflex swap

To: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: GT6+ rotoflex swap
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:31:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James writes:  (snipped for content)
> One of the
>rotoflex couplings was split, so I ordered a couple.  The Bentley manual
>and also one by Kenneth Ball suggest making a hexagonal bar to support the
>rear leaf spring and also mentions all sorts of pullers and thingy's that
>I don't have in my toolbox.  Who's been here before?  Is it necessary to
have all the tools, or will
>judicial hammering (which I assume will eventually become maniacal
>hammering) do the trick?
**************************************
You will pretty much need the bar and pullers.  I made my own bar, and had
my own pullers - you could pry like h*** and possibly get the upright back
in without the bar, but it will be a LOT of work, and NEVER hammer (shame
shame)
**************************************
> Can the rotoflex swap be done without removing the whole hub assembly?
**************************************
Nope
**************************************
>Should I just plan on rebushing everthing back
>there while I'm in that deep?  The U-joints seem sound, but once again,
>while I'm there is it prudent to swap them?
Yep, hate to say it but this is one of those really nasty, time consuming,
labor intensive jobs you only want to do if you HAVE to, so do every thing
when you have it apart, and do it right the first time -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)