Re: Gumball

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Gumball
From: Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:48:53 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:

> Actually, "Gumball" was a movie takeoff on the original, "Cannonball,
> Sea to Shining Sea, Rally" of which Brock Yates...etal were part of.  I
> remember reading summaries of the event in Brock's articles way back
> when... thinking how cool it would be to participate...
>
> Oh well, one can always dream.
>
> Joe Curry
>
> Linda and Bill Sohl wrote:
> >
> > Been there, done that!
> >
> > 1968 TR-250 (over 8000 miles covered in 8 days)
> >
> > The One Lap of America replaced the Gumball after
> > Brock Yates recognized that sooner or later someone
> > really would get killed or,, worse yet, kill
> > an innocent bystander.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bill Sohl
> >
> > PS - Finished 15th overall of a field of 50+ entrants.
> >
> > --------
> >
> > Linda and Bill Sohl -- Budd Lake, NJ -- billsohl@planet.net
>
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer
You may be interested to know that the first winner of the Cannonball
was Rick Cline, former Spitfire Racer, National Champion several times
over, and SCCA Mechanic of the Year in 1975.  In my opinion Rick was the
best Triumph wheel-to-wheel racer ever.  He won the Cannonball, however,
in one of those prancing horse things.
Bob