RE: Re[2]: Kango Reflex

To: jbonina@nectech.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Kango Reflex
From: "Ackley, Aaron T" <ackleya@hq.7arcom.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 02:14:38 +0100
Well, as i said, *you* are the one who makes judgements about your
safety...

*i* would replace the webbing, but nothing else unless broken or
otherwise inoperable.  The webbing will lose strength just with age,
notwithstanding UV exposure.  To be sure, those kind of straps have a
_very_ high tensile strength, but how large a percentage do they lose?
i dunno.

Lubricant in the coiled springs is because they must slide past each
other, over a pretty large cumulative surface area.  just try a shot of
WD40 or whatever on one and see what i mean.

Or use dry graphite powder... this is probably the best, but any kind of
lube will do....  but ake sure whatever it is will last (ie not wd40) or
else in a few months they wont retract anymore.

there should be no reason to replace hardware (even mounting bolts)
unless you suspect metal fatigue, if its not bunged up......

jmho!
aaron