FW: Spitfire Transmission Problems

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Spitfire Transmission Problems
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 03:34:14 -0800

----------
From:   Chris Prugh[SMTP:prubrew@ix.netcom.com]
Sent:   Friday, March 20, 1998 3:32 AM
To:     'schuyler grace'
Subject:        RE: Spitfire Transmission Problems

Schuyler,

        You wrote:

----------
From:   schuyler grace[SMTP:schuyler@bellsouth.net]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 18, 1998 10:58 PM
To:     triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject:        Spitfire Transmission Problems

<snip>
Now, I know it's not the clutch slipping -- my most recent transmission
implosion -- not my lack of driving ability, but the result of the first
"professional rebuild" -- left me with a first gear noise that goes up
in pitch as I accelerate.  It does the same whenever the slipping is
happening.  Also, shifting to third cures the slipping.  Still, it feels
just like a slipping clutch.
<snip>

Unfortunately, it IS your clutch slipping...guaranteed !  I had this happen
a few years ago when I switched from the old three rail to a single rail O/D
unit.
I had to replace the flywheel because of the spline difference on the trans
input shaft.  When I called (supplier name withheld, you figure it out) to get
the new
7.25" clutch assy, it was on back order, so I went to an alternate vendor.
These schmucks sent the dreaded QH product line and hesitantly I installed it
wanting to be on the road again.

Mind you I had the flywheel resurfaced, and reassembled the clutch innards
properly, and......lo and behold the exact same symptoms you describe reared
their
ugly heads.

The cure was to replace with true Borg and Beck parts.   I am now slip free !

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA
TTSCC Publicity Director