Re: Wire Wheel Removal Update

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Removal Update
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:00:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 04:27 PM 03/19/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Well, I got the first wheel off that I tried to remove finally.
>Liquid Wrench penetrating oil seems to have helped or my patience
>held out better on the 2nd go round.  After getting the tire fixed on
>that wheel I put it back on the car, this is when I noticed that the
>wheel spun even after pushed onto the hub all the way.  Now I assume
>that this is a baaaaad thing!!  I have no idea how long it was driven
>in this condition.

Yes its a bad thing.  See below.

> I still have one more wheel that doesn't want to come loose.
>Unfortunately this one is marked left side but its on the right
>side of the car, so I'm assuming they beat the sh.... out of it to
>get it to stay on the car.  The octogonal knockoff nut is pretty
>messed up.  I can't get the wrench to sit solidly enough to get a
>good solid whack at it.  Since I will have to be replacing this nut
>anyway, is a long pipe wrench an acceptable tool to use?  Or do I
>need to file the knockoff down to what I can get a better grip?
>Although I don't know how well it found file down.
>
>How much free play should there be when the knockoff is off the car
>but the wheel is sitting on the hub?

Very little rotating free play.

Check the splines on the hub.  They should be flat-topped, not
saw-toothed.  Same is true for the splines inside the center
part of the wheel.  Saw-toothed splines aren't worth having on
your car, they can be dangerous.

Worn splines will allow the wheel to slip on the hub a little.
Eventually the splines will round off (probably when under
hard acceleration or braking) and the wheel will spin on the
hub, maybe coming off the car.

By the way, when I picked up my current car there was a
thunking noise from the rear when I applied power.  Turned
out to be a hub extension with worn splines (the wheel was
still OK.)  A good extension cured the noise.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (Anxious to be done with front end work)