Re: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: "Bob Lang" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, "John Reynolds" <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:24:29 -0600
Cc: <jbonina@nectech.com>, <blang@MIT.EDU>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Timely thread. I've just disassembled the transmission from my blue
car, '73 TR6 CF9424-UO, trans # CC91782, and a worn layshaft parts
version out of '72TR6 CC75059L, trans # CC76817 in an attempt to
salvage parts for the rebuild. TRF was out of throwout bearings so I
ordered one from Victoria British. I received a black box with the
bearing assy. with the name "Automotive Bearings LTD" This is a new
brand to me, and while I'm happy to avoid the QH blues, I can't help
but wonder what kind of quality A.B. LTD produces. The bearing doesn't
even fit in the box. It looks like they buy them in bulk from someone
else (QH) and repackage in whatever box they have around! Does anyone
have any knowledge of this brand.

As a side note, this is the transmission that I once disassembled and
replaced a broken top hat bush and reassembled thinking "I've found and
corrected the problem". The problem wasn't corrected, so I've been
double clutching since 1994. The only damage I found is worn sliding
hubs and the 2nd gear synchro (one of the new lightweight types) lost
all of it's tabs. This '73 tranny had a steel 1st gear bushing, and had
brass top hat and 3rd bushings. Surprisingly, the used top hat I put in
was still intact. Needless to needed, I'm spending over $400.00
(without buying any gears). The '72 had all brass bushings.

Anyone need a rebuilt '72 tranny? I have a brand new laygear assembly
for it (the layshaft took out the inside of the old one, and it looks
nice otherwise. Needs new bushings, synchros, thrusts and bearings,
nothing that $400 in parts can't fix.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race