Re: TR6 oil pressure - low?

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure - low?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:03:09 -0500 (EST)
Cc: blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      I finally drove the TR for the (very) first time this weekend -
>      intermittent snow flurries and all, TOP DOWN (of course).

Or as the French might say: "Not in a Citroen??"

I haven't had any coffee yet... for around three years.

Moving right along...

>      Any way, I was watching the oil pressure guage and this is what I saw.
>
>      At 2000-2500 RPM while drive it was around 50-55 psi. When I came to a
>      stop at 800 RPM, it dropped under 25 PSI (per the guage). When the
>      engine was over 3000 RPM it was at around 75 PSI. I say around
>      because, well, you know what the guage looks like.
>
>      Anyway, is this normal? The oil is right to the full mark on the
>      dipstick.

Yep. This is normal. Sounds perfect to me.

If the pressure drops under 10 PSI at idle when the car is warm, the
indication is that the bearings are worn and renewal of the bearings is
indicated.

But I have to ask... do you really let the revs fall below 4000 RPMS???

;-)

Don't worry, your bearings are in good shape and your oil pump is pumping
just fine.

>      As always kids, a big thank-you in advance.

Yer welcome.

>      Jeff
>      '73 TR6 in Mass.

Bob in Mass. too.
TR6's.

p.s. gotta pull the engine and fix my throw out bearing this week...
it looks like I'm installing the "magic clutch" solution... gotta have
the car ready for the NET startup meeting in Attelboro, MA on the 22nd!
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |