Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks

To: Julian Daley <jjdd@umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:12:21 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Netk>
>If it is the half shaft UJs, how big a job is it to change them ?  Is it
>possible to do them without removing the half-shaft ?
********************************
Julian,
I have replaced them while the axles were on the car using two large
C-clamps as presses, but I wouldn't recommend it.  It was really back
breaking, twisted difficult work, and in the end determined it was easier
(and I would have been less sore) to just take the whole assy off.  At
least that way you can also replace/repair whatever else is wrong while you
have it off, and you also have the advantage of cleaning the old brake
fluid out during the bleeding, something that should be done at least every
other year anyway-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)