Re: Stinky ol' Spitfire (resolution)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stinky ol' Spitfire (resolution)
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:13:10 -0500
At 01:39 PM 3/2/98 -0500, Atwell Haines wrote:
>The more things change...
>
>As the New Year began, I had the following problem:

>----
>

>Date: Saturday, January 03, 1998 7:50 PM
>My '79 Spit has a problem with gas
>dripping put of the carb (Zenith-Stromberg 150 CD) after I shut it down.
>I've taken the carb off twice to verify that the floats are set at the
>correct height.
>The carb was rebuilt using the Moss kit. Its still running rich (catalytic
>converter glowing slightly red) despite
>leaning the needle out 'till it idles rough.

>----
>

>I just recently got the little feller driveable again.   While replacing the
>rear suspension and u-joints, I took out the Carb one more time, installed
>new floats, and verified the height and parallelism of them.  I cleaned and
>inspected the new needle, and I also replaced the fuel filter.
>
>While the car was running, there was no problem -- in fact, the floats had
>cured my red cat problem.   After readjusting the idle and mixture, I
>checked the bottom of the float bowl (it was dry).   Fifteen minutes later,
>I smelled that gas smell again, and sure enough, gas was dripping off the
>bottom of the bowl.
>
>Quickly inspecting the carb bore, I found it to be dry. The gas was coming
>out the rear of the carb somewhere, either the bowl gasket or the
>carb-to-manifold spacer.
>
>BTW, the fuel tank is full now, but it wasn't earlier when I had the
>problem.
>
>Any Ideas?

=============================
My last best hope was to install a Grose-Jet.   While the carb bowl was
off, I closely inspected the carb body where it met the bowl.   There was a
gouge in it! The fuel may have been coming out there, even with a new
gasket.   I filed the area smooth, used just a very thin layer of "Great
Stuff" gasket maker to fill in the remaining low spots, and reinstalled the
carb,    Problem solved!

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road soon!)

Succasunna, NJ USA
"There are three types of people in this world:
those that are good with numbers, and those that aren't."