Re: Triumphs as your only car<D1544FA06DD9CF11ADD60000C01437D585B02C@Pos

To: Ian Southwell <IanSouthwell@ApexSystems.COM>
Subject: Re: Triumphs as your only car<D1544FA06DD9CF11ADD60000C01437D585B02C@Postoff>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:34:29 +0000 (GMT)

>I'm curious to find out how many of you own Triumphs/classic cars as
>your only car.  Is it naive to rely upon a car thats at least 16 years
>old or should we coset them due to their increasing rarity?  What kind
>of mileages are people doing each year?  Anyone in the UK on our salty
>roads?

Since being allowed on Her Majesty's highways(and byways, but that was in a
Land Rover so that don't count :-)) I have drove firstly a 1969 Morris Minor
for about 15 months(after I blew the 2nd engine up I retired the poor old car
in July '91, still have it, may restore it, I ain't sure as it's well
knackered)  that car did me proud even though I thrashed the thing to death!!
I then had a........OK I'm sorry a Citroen Visa (look, it was only 20 quid and
I got about a years use out of it) After having 2 people drive into it, I lost
interest and proceded to try and tip it on it's side for fun(Oh, student care
free days eh!!! :-)), anyway, that got chopped up on the driveway and sold for
spares(got 150 quid back off that one :-)), then things started to look up
again, a 1970 Herald 13/60 estate came my way for 50 quid (who likes car
loans??) this survived for about 9-12 months use and abuse, including changing
the gearbox and having a rear outrigger fall off coming back from the Peak
district one day(made for VERY entertaining handling that did!!!)  Had to
change the gearbox after I lost my rag(OK temper to you US folk) with it when
it would go into reverse, after kicking sh*t out of the gear lever in a
psycotic(sp) rage I couldn't find ANY gears!!! (Haven't got a bad temper these
days now!! :-)).  Then came the Spit, bought for 200 quid, a 50 quid short
bloke was used to make a decent engine and the rest is history, it's now
covered about 75000-80000 miles since Dec 93, OK I've had my share of problems,
but I ain't the easiest of people for a car to put up with!!!  In the meantime,
as well as using these cars as everyday cars, I've also bought 2.5 other spits
and a 1966 Austin A40 farina, the Austin is still being rebuilt, I'll finish it
this year hopefully!!!  So as to whether or not they are suitable everyday
cars, then I'd say yes, although you'd better like getting oil under your
finger nails!!! :-)

Anyway, I think that's it,

Cheerio

Rich