Oil leak, TR6

To: John Worthy <jworthy@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Oil leak, TR6
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:27:00 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
        John,

        At the rear of the block is the oil passage that runs vertically up
to the head and then to the rocker arm shaft. 6-cylinder TR engines
frequently leak here because the seal is dependent on the head gasket and
is close to the edge of the block. I retorqued my head and decreased the
leak somewhat, but the only certain cure is to plane the head, install a
new head gasket, and perhaps even deck the block if there's an uneven
surface there. Obviously, this isn't worth it if there are no other
symptoms of head gasket failure and the engine doesn't need a rebuild.

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic
        CD3574L