Spitfire Tranny questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Tranny questions
From: ABunch726 <ABunch726@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:55:26 EST
Hi.  My name is Aaron and I'm brand new to the list.  A friend of mine and I
are considering a joint venture on a 79 Triumph Spitfire.  The car is yellow
(yuck) with black interior.  I haven't seen it yet as my friend and I live
about 250 miles apart, so I only know what he has told me over the phone.  the
car was restored about 2 years ago and is currently owned by a doctor.  The
doctor's father did the restoration.  The only major problem is the
transmission.  It is hard to get into reverse.  All the other gears seem fine,
but it grinds when you try to put it in reverse.  Also the shifter lever spins
freely.  My friend turned it and turned it trying to get it to tighten.  What
would cause this condition?  We could probally live with the reverse problem
for a while, but the spinning shift lever is very irritating.

Thanks,

Aaron