Re: Rotoflexes, etc...

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: Rotoflexes, etc...
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:24:30 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Do tell ... did you just make an adapter plate at each end to fit
>the TR6 fittings? I've been considering a similar conversion, maybe
>using CV joints instead of U joints..
Chris-
I had to modify the outer axle shafts by cutting off the three fingers
(that the rotoflex mounts to), then re machining and welding on a flange
that mates with the TR6 u-joint yoke flanges.  You don't even need the old
GT6 inner axle shafts, u-joint, and flange.  At the diff end I had
originally made up small 3/8" thick adapters that would mate with the diff
and the TR6 u-joint yoke flanges, and used those, but have since re-worked
the diff inner axle shafts to accept the TR6 u-joint yoke flanges by doing
essentially the same thing as I did with the outer axle shafts.  Those
differential inner axle shafts, by the way, are made of some REALLY HARD
material. I went through several hardened bit's to machine those shafts!!
Funny thing is that the TR6 yoke flange is only very slightly larger (on
the order of .040-.060 dia, don't have my data handy) than a Spitfire unit.
 I realize that costs would (could) have played a part in using the smaller
u-joint, but with the loads imposed on the Spitfire (and GT6) in this area
it makes one wonder why, when the change to larger u-joint flanges on the
GT6, and MK4 Spitfires was made, they at that time didn't just use those
from the TR6.  It would surely have increased the reliability of this
critical area of the drive train.  The parts were already tooled (except
for the drive or axle shaft yolk), and the increase in production orders
for the same parts surely would have resulted in slightly lower costs for
all involved, and simplified the parts bins some. . . In my opinion,
dealing with the corporate bean counters, sometimes they can't see the
forest for the trees!  Ah well, what could have been!!!
You may well be able to just make an adapter for both ends, but I don't
like adapters.  To me they are like an afterthought.  I like things to look
like the factory made it that way, hence all the re-machining.  If you look
under my car you would swear it was made that way (and really should have
been)  I really only did this for the V6 powered unit, as the GT6 never had
any problems with ripping apart the rubber doughnuts that the V6 seemed to
do every three or so months!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)