Re: Home Powder Coating on TNN this weekend

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "british-cars@autox.team.net" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>, "rtr@tsquare.com" <rtr@tsquare.com>, "pairets@luna.moonstar.com" <pairets@luna.moonstar.com>, "richtr@erols.com" <richtr@erols.com>, "prestop@erols.com" <prestop@erols.com>, "TERQUINN@worldnet.att.net" <TERQUINN@worldnet.att.net>, "Scott_McCombe@VAPower.com" <Scott_McCombe@VAPower.com>, "notanmg@aol.com" <notanmg@aol.com>, "mga-tr6@juno.com" <mga-tr6@juno.com>, "Kevin M. Beam" <kbeam@richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: Home Powder Coating on TNN this weekend
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 8:14 -0800
Kevin wrote:
     While suffering from the flu bug this past weekend (instead of working on
the Triumphs and enjoying the 70 degree weather), I saw a clip from this
upcoming weekend's "Hot Rod TV". Included in the show is a spot on "Home
Powder Coating". On the East coast, Hot Rod TV (TNN) airs on Saturday,
March 7, at 4:30 PM and again on Sunday, March 8, at 3:30 PM. This is
probably the Eastwood product Fred Thomas has extolled.
     Cheers,
     =======================
     I looked into this stuff pretty closely since I am a big fan of powder
     coating parts and am doing a LOT of it on the Porsche.  The problem is
     the heating cycle one must go through to cure the coating.  Once the
     part is sprayed you have to toss it in a hot (about 400 to 500 degree
     farenheit) oven to cure.  During the heating and curing process the
     parts give off noxious gases and fumes. The instructions clearly state
     one should NOT use their household oven for the curing.  So, that led
     me to thinking - "gee, I wonder how many of us just happen to have a
     GE or Whirlpool or Jennair oven just sitting around in our workshop or
     backyard into which we can toss parts for curing?"

     I suspect the answer is damn few.  So, how useful is the kit?  Just
     imagine if you will for a moment, some young gearhead living in an
     apartment building who coats a handful of parts and then tosses them
     into the oven in his apartment kitchen.  Oops, there go the fire
     alarms!  And there goes the apartment lease.

     Ross D. Vincenti
     64 Spitfire 4
     64 Porsche 356C Coupe