Re: TR4A Front Calipers

To: jonesj1@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR4A Front Calipers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <blang@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 19:14:30 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ISIS.MIT.EDU
Hi,

Still way behind.

TR's used the same caliper from at least the TR3A, a Girling 16P all the
way through CC29929, according to the TRF TR6 Parts book, Vol. 1. At
CC29929, they switched to the newer Girling 16 PB and continued with that
one until they switched to a metric version of the 16 PB call the M 16 PB.
Now, there is an idiosyncracy with the switchover to metric, TRF says
CC81xxx was the switchover. I have CF14111U (about 15 or 16 thousand units
after the switch over, and my car has 16 PB's, not the metric version. Go
figure.

If you have a TR4 or TR4A, you should have two Girling 16P calipers.

The seal that you refer to with the clip is the 16 PB or M16 PB.

The metric designation refers to the threads on the brake line, as I recall.

As luck would have it, one of my parts cars is an early '69, CC27777U, it
has the old style. I have no idea why they changed, but I suspect the seal
on the later 16 PB's and M 16 PB is probably a better seal.

The designation that I refer to is cast on the caliper casting itself. If
that designation is missing, your calipers are probably pretty rusty.

Later,
rml
TR6's including CC27777, and CF14111

Bob Lang                       | Editor          | New England Triumphs
Phone: 781-438-2568  |                   |
FAX: 617-258-9535     |                  |