Carbs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbs
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:20:15 -0800
Roger wrote:

>>This is a vacuum leak, likely NOT from the throttle plate shaft.
>>Once you research how this works, little items like seals on the
>>valve cover nuts start to become important...  dip stick gasket...
>>As much as a pinhole anywhere and you loose HP etc.  That rubber
>>line from the carb bases to the valve cover is a high vacuum line
>>AFTER the fuel/air is mixed.
>>
>>Once all the leaks are tracked down and fixed it will run like a dream.
>>
>>Roger

Thanks for this information, Roger.  I am a little confused, though,
because I've heard many times from many people that when the throttle shaft
bushings become worn it becomes impossible to get a proper mixture due to
the resulting air leak.  I will go over those PCV hoses... They never have
fit very well.

I will update my mental database of Triumph standard equipment with the "no
mixture adjustment in 1970 or earlier" bit.  That's a real surprise to me.

Thanks again!

Pete Chadwell