Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:26:11 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-30 11:43:54 EST, worsley@ebicom.net writes:
>
> > James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:
> >  >
> >  > I understand all that, but why do we call them "alternators", when they
> >  > produce direct current?
> >  > Jim Ruwaldt
>
> In reply, Joe Worsley wrote:
>
> >  They are really 3 phase AC generators.  The stator winding produces the
> >  AC when the rotor magnetic field cuts the stator windings. The output is
> >  fed to a 3 phase rectifier to produce the DC.
>
> Jim, Joe, and others:
>
> I have just written an article on how alternators work - hopefully detailed
> enough to be of benefit but not requiring electrical expertise to understand
> - which Ken Streeter is in the proces of publishing on the VTR web site. This
> article explains, with diagrams, how the three phase AC is produced and
> converted to DC.
>
> It also explains what the warning light means, and how the output is
> controlled. I hope it will be of benefit to the group.
>
> I also wrote an article on the differences betwwen ballast and non-ballast
> coils, and how to convert from from a ballast to a non-ballast coil. Ken has
> already posted this article, and it can be found on the maintanance page, if
> anyone has an interest in this subject. Other articles are in the works.
>
> Dan Masters,
> Alcoa, TN
>
> '71 TR6---------3000mile/year driver, fully restored
> '71 TR6---------undergoing full restoration and Ford 5.0 V8 insertion - see:
>                     http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/
> '74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition
> '68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74

Dan,

Just thought I would give you a congratulations on the fine job you did
on this subject.

I've been involved in the electronics end of automotive and automotive
testing equipment, Aviation electronics and laboratory test equipment for
thirty years and I don't believe anyone could have done a better job of
explaning it in layman terms.

This is what makes the VTR site, WWW site the triumph mail list and
others so benefical.  I don't speak up very often but have noticed the
many questions answered by the triumph mail list for the novice as well
as experienced owners. (BTW I must admit I quietly print out a lot of car
particular items  for my own little reference file on TR 6's and 8's.

Thanks for the group
Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6