Re: Battery questionsca>

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Battery questionsca>
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:53:42 -0800
At 05:01 PM 10/27/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I have a battery for my TR4 that has seen better days.
>
>The date sticker says Jan 91.  It has been sitting for the past 5 years or
>so.  When I got it, it was dead dead dead; only read 1.3 volts or so.  My
>automagic charger wouldn't even recognize that it had a battery hooked up.
>
>I got the charger to go by giving the battery a "jump start" with a
>different battery (small Ni-Cd pack for radio control car) and now the
>charger is putting 3 amps into the battery (half rated output)
>
>Am I flogging a dead horse?  (er battery)  Can old batteries be revived?

Yes, It can be revived.  But it is a lot of trouble.   You need to
(chemically) remove the build-up from the plates inside the battery.   If
it is an old one with caps, you could start with fresh electrolite.  Can be
had a bigger auto parts.

Thomas Howard
1972 Triumph GT6,
(& a good bit of USA iron)