Re: GT6 heat control valve

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: GT6 heat control valve
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:42:25 -0500
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Well, it was a little nippy here in the D.C. area yesterday morning, but when
> I turned on the heater in my GT6, the control valve started dripping, and onto
> the head, making some nice little steamy clouds.
>
> I presume it is necessary for me to cough up the $40 to replace it?  Is the
>installation
> straightforward?
>
> I find it curious that just as soon as the nice heating man repaired the
>furnace
> in my house, the GT6 developed this problem.  It must crave attention.
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6
> 74 Spitfire

I'm not familiar with the GT6 heater valve, but the one on my TR3 has a
packing gland.  The packing can be easily replaced and you can get new
packing from a hardware store.  It's about 1/8" diameter, graphite
impregnated valve packing.  It comes in a coil and you just cut off what
you need.  I would put two turns in the gland, three if you can fit
them.  The packing gland nut is the nut directly under the valve
handle.  After you have repacked it, open the vlave and tighten the nut
until the leak stops.  Actually, you should try this BEFORE you replace
the packing.  The gland may just need to be tightened.