Re: SCCA Runoffs and "M" Cars

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SCCA Runoffs and "M" Cars
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 17:06:17 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I'm hopelessly behind on the digest, so please forgive if this matter has
been discussed since around 14-Sep-97...

I wound up heading to the Mid-Ohio race track for the SCCA Runoffs (tm)
this year. I didn't take my TR6, good thing, as I probably would have
wound up scavaging parts from it to help some of my Triumph friends...

The big event for me was the E Production race. There were 6 Triumphs in
the field: 4 TR6's a TR4 and of course Hardy Prentiss's TR3. Wow. Not bad
for cars they stopped making over 20 years ago and some over 40 years ago!

I wish I had better news to report, but Triumphs did pretty good,
none-the-less with at least 4 Triumphs in the top 10. But (here comes the
dreaded "M" word) Miatas finished first and second. Sam Halkias in a TR6
finished 3rd, and I'm relatively sure that Rod Kent (TR6) and Hardy
Prentiss (TR3) were 9th and 10th...

Now, keep in mind: the winning Miata was reported to have been prepared by
Huffaker and the cost was somewhat toward the astonomical amount of
$100k. This was the rumor all week, but I got news for you, that Miata was
really fast...

I wonder what a $100k Triumph would go like?

Note: the 3rd place TR6 was Sam Halkias' backup car... it was not as fast
as the the primary car that suffered an axle malady on the first day of
practice...

As the graphic on the back of the car said:

"The shape of things _still_ around".

Way kool.

Check out coverage of the runoffs (tm) at http://www.scca.com.

C ya,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |