Step 12.41.05½

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Step 12.41.05½
From: Kristina Turner <turner@public.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 22:03:16 +0200
Looks like the head's coming off - the trouble is I don't think it's
ever going back on again.

A big thank-you to all listers who've helped me lose my head.

There's a product called Teroson over here in Sweden that helped free up
all the cylinder head studs (except one that was threaded) so I could
get them off with double nuts.

By the way, there wasn't enough stud exposed to get two nuts on
properly, so I filed one down to ½ thickness and used that "underneath".

Then using the rope trick, the head came off (it's not actually off yet
- but I can see daylight round most of it).

The cause of my problems, I suspect, is a water leak. The face of the
head where the water pump bolts on is not at all smooth, and when I
started to shift the head, two chunks came off - the bolt hole for the
water pump assembly nearest to the manifold side of the head "split" and
two pebble-sized bits came away in my hand.

My guess is that this has caused the head/studs/gasket etc. to rust
together - am I right?

And as for the bits that have busted off the head - do they mean I need
a new head?

Tell it to me straight, guys, I can take it.

Adam Turner
'74 TR6 (sort of)