MMO and Emmisions

To: burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us
Subject: MMO and Emmisions
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:57:49 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Well folks, the GT6 failed emmissions again here in Colorado.  What would
>make it passable (under 1000 hydrocarbons) at 2500 rpms, and fail at idle
>(923ish rpms)?  I changed the spark plugs, and oil, added a quart of
>marvel mystery oil, and blew out the air filters.  I would have had new
>air filters but the parts place is having operator error problems.  If
>anyone has any suggestions let me know.  Thanks, Jane

Jane and others,

I have a question about the use of MMO, which is very thin, right before an
emmisions test.  At lower rpm's the engine vacuum is very high.  Could you
be pulling the thinned engine oil past your rings or valve guides, causing
the higher hydrocarbons at idle?

Just a thought (guess).  Personnally, I love MMO.  It's great stuff.  A
little dab of that almost pepper-minty stuff behind each ear drives the
women crazy.  Whoops, I'll bet showering it off after the date is illegal
and constitutes a hazardous spill.

Just a though no one else has proposed yet.  I have not scientific basis for
this possibility, just a gut feel.

Good luck,

Jack