Re: SpitFire Rear hub removal??

To: Bob Hutton <bobhutton@vut.EDU.AU>
Subject: Re: SpitFire Rear hub removal??
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:52:31 -0700
Cc: "'rnagel@dspt.com'" <rnagel@dspt.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Hutton wrote:

> There was numerous chat regarding this general topic in the Stag list, and
>the consensus there seemed to be to use a puller, but gently,  and then evenly
>and consistently apply a torch to the hub while increasing the pull.
>Apparently it just falls apart. Don't overheat though. I haven't tried it yet,
>but will next time as I broke a hub trying to use my 20 tonne press.

I would not advise using any heat to remove the hub.  Heat makes the
metal lose its temper and even if you are successful in removing the
hub, you more likely than not will end up causing the heated parts to
either wear out prematurely, or break.

I had a wheel bearing sieze on the front of a Camaro I once owned.  We
could not remove except by heating the spindle.  We were careful only to
use as much heat as required... In short order, the spindle warped
because the heat caused the metal to lose its temper and strength.

Take it to a pro, Save yourself a headache.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit