Re: Rocker [Cylinder Head] oil feed kit

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker [Cylinder Head] oil feed kit
From: Craig Richburg <richburg@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:23:33 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Lucas wrote:

> Has anyone ever used one of these kits? Are they worthwhile? Do they
> actually feed enough oil to make any sort of difference? And where does
> it bolt from/to?
> Thanks in advance,
> PL

Hello Peter,

The Rocker Oil Feed Kit, sometimes [also] referred to as Cylinder Head
Oil Feed, primarily increases the flow of oil to your valve gears by
using this external oil feed pipe to route oil from the main engine
gallery directly to the back to the cylinder head.  In TR engines,
anytime you can get one extra drop of oil to the top, jump at it.  These
kits allows your TR engine to benefit from improved and sustained oil
pressure.   As you may know, low oil pressure is a sign of other
potential engine problems, i.e. bad oil seals, etc.. You are going to
find that this single piece of stainless steel hose is probably one of
the most cost effective means to extend your engine life.

Depending upon your car, installation will take somewhere between 10 to
15 minutes. I've installed these kits in all my TR6, TR250,TR4A, and TR4
cars with little to no problems.  The differences in installation are
between the 4 and the 6 cylinder engines.

FOR ALL ENGINES, first remove the battery in order to get access and
view to the top-back of your cylinder head.  At this top-corner [above
the fuel pump] you will find a bolt.  One side of the oil feed pipe in
attached to a replace bolt which goes into the back-top corner of you
head. These kits come with copper washers which means one chance to
torque down without developing possible oil leaks.  You will most likely
find that after running the car for several hours after installation,
this bolt will have to be re-torque in order to prevent any developed
oil leak.

Secondly, the other end of the oil feed pipe either attaches to the oil
pressure feed in the 6 cylinder or directly to the oil gallery plugs on
the 4 cylinder engines.  For 6 CYLINDER ENGINES, just tap into your oil
pressure feed line which is probably installed on the last oil gallery
sealing plug. [ALL HARDWARE PROVIDED W/KITS] For 4 CYLINDER ENGINES,
there is one and only one oil gallery sealing plug which this pipe can
be installed.  As you are looking at you fuel pump, you will find one of
four camshaft bearing screw located to the immediate left.  Just
underneath that screw is the only oil gallery sealing plug you can use.
This plug is also the only one which is facing down.  THIS IS THE
CORRECT AND ONLY PLUG for installation.  You will find that this plug
has a fine tread.  All other oil gallery sealing plugs have coarse
threads.  So, if you plug appears to not fit, you are most-likely using
the wrong plug.   Again, you will most likely find that after running
your car for several hours after installation, the newly installed bolt
will have to be re-torque in order to prevent any developed oil leak.

Good luck

Craig Richburg
(still have towels under my TR)