Re: Wheels

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:38:47 -0400
Don Howard offers an excellent caution here. I would expand on it by urging
everyone with an older car to carefully inspect every component of the car
that might fail and cause an accident or injury. This includes suspension
components and mountings, steering components, and brakes.

"The main problem with 37 year old TR3 wheels is the RIM riveted to the
center.  This type of construction is
no longer allowed by DOT.  After 37 years there is probably considerable
corrosion of the rivets themselves, let alone any age or work hardening to
make them brittle.  If you do choose to drive on these rims I would advise
you to drive with caution, modern tires can put greater stresses on these
wheels than the original equipment tires ever could!"

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)