Re: Whining, good for nothing clutch!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, curry@wolfenet.com, Will_Thane@classic.msn.com
Subject: Re: Whining, good for nothing clutch!
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:37:11 -0700
Joe Curry wrote:

> William West wrote:
> >
> > Yet another question from this mechanical wannabe:
> >
> > My 76 Spit has started whining when engaging the clutch.  When I depress the
> > pedal, a sound not too far distant from that of the Star Trek transporter,
> > beckons out.  Haven't identified the locale yet, although it sounds like
>it's
> > coming from the pedal itself (though I know it is probably not).  The car
> > shifts fairly well (albeit a little clunky because of the worn u joints).
>The
> > sound is not always there; sometimes it shows up after the car has warmed
>up,
> > sometimes at while the car is cold, but goes away when hot.
> >
> > Any guesses?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Will----------
> > YeYeet
> >
> > Yet
> >
> > YYYYYYYYsasdfasdferdddffs
> Will,
> I can't hear it, but from what you describe, I'd guess that the problem
> is the clutch release (throw-out) bearing.
>
> If you have to go in and replace that, you might as well replace the
> clutch too.
>
> Joe Curry   '63 Spit

And you might want to check that leaky rear main seal, of course, and
then while you've got it out, it would be a good time to check the
thrust washers, and then replace the motor mounts, and that would give
you good >
access to your steering rack, which you've been meaning to work

Good luck,
Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 Spits