fuel pump followup (interesting)

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fuel pump followup (interesting)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:46:18 -0600
Some of you may recall my recent postings about a rebuild kit I
installed on my TR6's AC fuel pump. The kit was purchased from TRF a
couple of years ago and sat in my parts inventory until this fall.

Upon installing it, I found that the diaphragm was assembled "upside
down" and although I was alarmed at first and refit the original
diaphragm for fear of breaking something, I then re-installed the
"upside-down" diaphragm after being assured by a TRF employee that the
kits have been made this way for years and the new diaphragm would work
just fine. Indeed it has.

Just for the record, TRF had tried to get the kit manufacturer to
assemble the diaphragms correclty but were unsuscessful for several
years.

However, I received an email message from Dave H. at TRF this weekend
stating that they have received a new batch of kits which have the
diaphragm assembled correctly (small disk on the side where the spring
goes). He has arranged for the new kit to be sent to me (at their
expense, and no need to return the old kit).

(Interesting side note, Dave originally read my posting here and became
interested in the case when he found they had the new kits. He was
"testing the internet stuff" and decided this was an issue he would like
to pursue using that medium.)

I must say that I am very impressed with both the attention that TRF is
paying to this issue and that they originally became aware of it through
this newsgroup. Although I may have expressed concerns about TRF in the
past, I have stuck with them and now I am quite glad I did. Although my
problem was originally resolved via the phone, I am impressed that TRF
is attempting to also use the net as another means of serving their
customers better. This can only improve their buisiness in the long term
IMO.

Needless to say, I have no interest in TRF, blah blah blah, other than
as a satisifed (even more so now) customer. Thanks to all those who
convinced me to give TRF a chance when I was expressing my doubts.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada

BTW, the new kits still do not come with the oil seals and retainer
pictured in the TRF catalog. These parts are still unavailable
unfortunately.