FW: Re: RX-7 conversion

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: RX-7 conversion
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:45:10 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Peter Mchugh
<"/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/o=FAA/ou=FAAgw/dd.ccMail=Peter Mchugh 'at'
AWAASY1PO/"@dotms1-gw.dot.gov>]]

     Date: 01 Oct 1997 12:00:35 -0400
     From: Peter Mchugh
<"/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/o=FAA/ou=FAAgw/dd.ccMail=Peter Mchugh 'at'
AWAASY1PO/"@dotms1-gw.dot.gov>
     Subject: Re: RX-7 conversion

All the discussion about rotary engines reminded me of earlier racing
days (not so long after our LBCs were brand new on race tracks across
the US) when competition for G and H Production came in the form of
Honda S-600 & 800s, Midgets/Sprites, Fiat 850s, and one Wankle powered
NSU sedan.

I remember the NSU not so much for it being too competitive (saw it
more often than not in the rear view mirror) but for the awe
inspiring, daunting demonstration its driver regularly put on at the
beginning of each race at the starting line...First he'd open the
bonnet to expose the tiny, single rotor engine,  then getting in the
car he'd floor the accelerator...and with total disregard for the
traditions of internal combustion engine operation, without arresting
the tach at redline, would continue to hold the pedal on the floor.

Now at first the uneducated of us were inclined to find, nay found,
protection behind any available barrier,  but we noticed that wiser
drivers and sage pit crew personnel remained close to the car...and
cautiously returning we were impressed by the fact that the engine was
just screaming, no load, and with no apparent (expected) ill
effect...in fact, the only indication of the "petal to the metal"
abuse was an absolutely glowing, fire red exhaust manifold and tail
pipe...I swear that you could see the hot exaust gases charging toward
freedom ...see those excited molecules right through the walls of the
exhaust system...and the noise!!!

I'll never forget the many fun races, the special cars,  and certainly
not that awe inspiring little rpm unlimited engine.

As an aside...before the Wankle...I had always been pretty much
impressed with the little (606 cc) four cylinder, four carbeurator,
twin over head, roller bearing cam, roller crank Honda S-600 which had
a 12,500 rpm redline (or was it 11,500?   Hmmmm what's a 1000 revs
among race car drivers?)

Cheers!

PMcQ

lookin' for another (bite my lbc lovin' tongue) S-600....