RE: Spit MkIII Tripometer Reset

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spit MkIII Tripometer Reset
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:59:47 -0500 (CDT)

Somebody (sorry, came in late) wrote:

> > Does anyone out there own a late US spec MkIII Sptifire - the one that is
> > half MkIII and half MKIV? If so, please can you help!

Speaking!

> > On mine, I have had to replace the  speedometer. The old one, apart from
> > not working, also didn't have the tripometer re-set cable. So now I have
> > a working speedometer, with the tripometer cable hanging loose under the
> > dashboard because I can't work out where it is supposed to go. I can't
> > see any appropriate holes in the lower glove box support, nor anywhere
> > else for that matter. Can someone please help me out!

My car has the black vinyl dash, guages in front of the driver (not in the
middle) and locking steering column with the ignition switch down by your
knees.  Sound like yours?  If so, your trip odometer reset cable should
attach to the steering column.  There is a clamp near the ignition switch
made up of two cast pieces that surround the steering column.  These are
held in place by two screws (approx. 3").  These screws go through a set
of bars that stradle the column, through the 2 cast pieces, through a
bracket attached to the body, and finally engage a threaded plate about
1/4" thick on the top side of the bracket.  My cable is attached to the
screw on the right via a sheet metal tab thusly (as viewed from the
driver's seat, not to scale):

                      _____       _____
Lower cast           |     \_____/     |              | |<--- Cable
   piece     ----->  |_____       _____|              | |