Re: 130 mph TR4

To: Steve Witt <witt@pairgain.com>
Subject: Re: 130 mph TR4
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:53:31 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> So, how does one get a TR4 to go 130 mph (in street form, with a Triumph
> engine)? And if one is successful, will the suspension and brakes handle
> this speed?

I believe Dan Masters has answered this question -- it involves 5.0
litres of American iron and aluminum.....

As for the "all Triumph" solution, I'm not sure that this is
obtainable with a "streetable" TR engine. If you don't care about
that "streetable" thing (it is a relative term). I believe the basic
formula would be Weber carbs, the hottest cam you can find, roller
rockers, a billet crank,4.55 rear + overdrive, a full comp type tube
header, no muffler, full porting, bigger valves, increase comp. ratio
to about 12.5:1, and major sparks to light the fuse....talk to Ken
Gillanders at British Frame and Engine....I think his TR3 might go
that fast.....

> Is a TR6/TR250 a better platform than a TR4 for high performance tweaks?

...the only real chassis difference is the IRS of the later cars....6
cyl tuning parts are more common -- but history has shown that the
TR4 can and did go at least 130 mph... at least in the hands of Kas
Kastner and Bob Tullius...

...all of the above is IMHO
...and, of course, YMMV

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV