Re: V-8's... poundage

To: Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
Subject: Re: V-8's... poundage
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-10-14 12:34:18 EDT, Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu
writes:

> I was wonderin' ----
>
>  ......the "Engine Weights List" lists the 289-302 SB Ford at 460 lb.
>  with "late 5.0 a little lighter" and the L6 Triumph at 406lb.
>
>  Do the Aluminum heads(?) of the late 5.0 shave this much weight off
>  the Ford or is the TR 2.5 a little heavier than they say....(which
>  wouldn't surprise me a bit)....

Christopher:

Unfortunately, when engine weights are listed, they don't tell you what the
weights include. In some cases, they include the intake manifold, for
example, and in some cases they don't. Since most weight lists are compiled
from several sources, it is hard to make an honest comparison. That, plus
there are often errors.

In the case of the TR6 vs Ford, I weighed the engines myself, so I am
confident of the data (there is a margine of error, because the TR6 and the
stock Ford engines were missing some very minor items, and I had to do a
little extrapolation, but the results are within 2.0% or less). The figures I
am giving include everything required to make the engine work - starter,
alternator, intake and exhaust manifolds, clutch, etc.

TR6    460 lbs
Stock Ford    519 lbs
Ford w/alum heads  424 lbs
TR6 transmission   74 lbs (bellhousing is integral to the trans)
Ford T5 trans and bell housing  85 lbs

The aluminum heads knocked off 50 lbs, the lightweight flywheel another 13
lbs, the aluminum intake manifold, 23 lbs, alum water pump,  7 lbs, light
weight starter, 5 lbs, etc.

To give you an idea of the accuracy of these figures, when I received the new
engine, the freight bill gave a weight of 350 lbs. My calculations for an
engine in the same configuration showed 13 lbs more, or 363 lbs. I thought
that was close enough, till I read in one of my Ford magazines that this
engine came with a 27 lb flywheel, rather than the standard 40 lb flywheel -
a difference of 13 lbs!

A stock Ford engine will weigh about 70 lbs more than the TR6, which is not
too far from what a turbo-charger or a super-charger would add.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74