Re: V-8's... another alternative

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Subject: Re: V-8's... another alternative
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 16:14:41 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>>>> "DLMAssoc" == DLMAssoc  <DLMAssoc@aol.com> writes:

    DLMAssoc> Here's another approach...  Has anyone put a
    DLMAssoc> modern 4 cylinder engine in a TR4, etc.  For
    DLMAssoc> instance, I recently came upon a basket case
    DLMAssoc> Healey 3000 that needs an engine.  From the
    DLMAssoc> Healey list I heard about a guy who's put a
    DLMAssoc> Nissan 280ZX engine and tranny (plus A/C) in his
    DLMAssoc> Healey.  According to him, it's virtually a
    DLMAssoc> direct swap, including motor mounts, throttle
    DLMAssoc> linkage, etc.  In other words, no cutting.  Has
    DLMAssoc> anyone done something similar with a Toyota,
    DLMAssoc> Nissan, or other ~2 liter high performance 4
    DLMAssoc> cylinder engine in a TR?  Other than the rotary,
    DLMAssoc> of course...

    DLMAssoc> I'm somewhat opposed to cutting up a good car to
    DLMAssoc> swap engines, but as long as there's little or
    DLMAssoc> no fabrication involved, it would be no big deal
    DLMAssoc> and could be put back to original if some future
    DLMAssoc> owner wanted to.  Think about it... a TR4 with
    DLMAssoc> 150+ hp, fuel injection, air conditioning, 5
    DLMAssoc> speed, lots less weight up front...

Well, I _was_ looking at a computer tweak-able throttle body
injection system for the front end of the supercharger on
Sonja, but I decided the SU would be nearly as easy or easier
to set up.  I did kinda like the idea of the 3-wire O2 sensor,
and I may keep that just to help with the setup, since I've
got to weld up a collector anyway.  She's already got 7
speeds, and I don't really need A/C much 'round here.  Of
course, the weight is an issue, but you can't have everything.

                                                        -MM