TR-6 Thrust washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 Thrust washers
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 8:18:35 -0400
Hey All,

        I apologies for asking this question again, but I'm rebuild the engine
and I was putting the thrust washers in last night.  I want to make sure
I am putting them in correctly.  I checked the VTR page and the
description was confusing, as well as the descriptions in Bently and
Haynes.  Below is a copy of what is on the VTR page:

>Installing the Thrust Washers the Right Way 'Round
>
>Since I've replaced these, and my oil pan contains nothing more than
Castrol 20w-50 and my crank >doesn't move about unnecessarily, I'll quote
from page 36, Chapter 1, sec. 45, par. 8 of the Haynes' >manual:

>    Rotate the crankshaft in the direction toward the main bearing
tabs(so that the main bearing shells don't >slide out). At the same time
feed the thrust washers into their locations with their oil grooves
outwards away >from the bearing (photo). [bold type added for emphasis]

>The photo shows a thrust washer half being inserted with the oil grooves
facing toward the inside of the >engine.

        OK, but which way is correct!

>Now for the confusion: Page 132 of the Bentley manual has an
illustration (of a photo on page 36 of the >Haynes manual) which shows
the grooves facing toward the outside of the engine. The illustration is
>obviously in error, as the original photo has no oil grooves showing and
the text in the Bentley manual
>reads as follows:
>
>    Insert the thrust bearings into the grooves in the cylinder block
ensuring that the oil grooves face >towards the sides of the crankshaft
journal.

>This is a very good example of why I prefer the Haynes book, but use the
Bentley manual as a reference.

        OK, but which way is correct!  Maybe I'm just being thick-headed, but
this article is very clearly pointing out the inconsistencies in the
manuals, but doesn't clearly state which way is the correct way to insert
the thrust washers.  HELP!

Later,
JHD IV