RE: TR6 frame resto.

To: Haeg1@aol.com, Haeg1@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR6 frame resto.
From: "Craig Bentley" <MMBENT@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 03:24:07 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-triumphs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Haeg1@aol.com
Sent:   Sunday, October 12, 1997 1:08 PM
To:     triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject:        Fwd: TR6 frame resto.

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    TR6 frame resto.
Date:    97-10-10 23:30:28 EDT
From:    Haeg1
To:      british-cars@autox.team.net

I am new to this list, and I have high hopes that you people will be the
valued source of information on Triumph automobile restorations that I have
been seeking. I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration of my TR6.
My goals are to have fun, and experience doing a complete car restoration. I
also dream of driving my car some time in the not so distant future. I am
patient and stubborn enough to complete such a project. My intention is to do
as much of the work myself in an attempt to keep the restoration costs in the
$5-6K range.

If you can help with any of these questions it would be appreciated.
1) I am planning on sandblasting my frame, but I am concerned about the rust
on the inside of the frame. Is there a way to deal with this rust, or is this
the argument for chemically dipping the frame?
2) I am interested in any positive or negative experiences that you may have
had with the process of sandblasting of chemically dipping your chassis.
3) I have rust damage to the supports holding the rear trailing arms. This is
the main reason that I removed the body and am proceeding with the
restoration of the chassis. Is it necessary to purchase and replace new
sections to get this job done correctly? Or can an experienced welder tackle
patching up these supports?
(Holes in bottom, opening in front along bottom. The brackets are still
attached. The top looks good.)
4) Why are these sections so susceptible to rust? The rest of my chassis
looks solid.
5) What can I expect to pay in the states for:
- Chassis sandblasting.
- Chassis chemical dip.
- Patch up the trailing arm supports.
- Replacement of trailing arm supports.
6) I am trying to put together a list of all necessary parts that will be
required for this restoration and their estimated cost. If anyone has such a
list please e-mail me.

Take care,
John H. in Minneapolis
haeg1@aol.com
73 TR6

John, When I had my frame blasted it cost me about $100.00. Most sandblasters
at least here in eastern Pennsylvania will even come to your home (especially
at this time of the year seeing as how all their swimming pool work is done).
My frame was really very solid throughout though so I don't really have an
opinion on dipping.I plan on using some Waxoyl (sp?) for the interior of the
frame channels. As for the rear trailing arm mounts I am of the opinion that
rust never sleeps and seeing as how this is a safety critical area I would
probablly opt for complete replacement. There is a guy not to far from me that
sells these sections. He fabricated them himself and while he was at it sort
of reengineered them to be much stronger than stock and if I recall more
expensive ($150.00 ea rings a bell) He is really more into MG's but he may
still have a few. If your intrested I'll see if I can get you his phone #.
Craig Bentley