[Fwd: Re: Heads (no vanity content)]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Heads (no vanity content)]
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 15:15:35 -0700
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 15:14:39 -0700
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
To: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Subject: Re: Heads (no vanity content)

Odd Hedberg wrote:

> Mark,
> I'll support Your try to get a decent, and technical, thread going...
> And cylinder heads is a nice and technical thread to start on this
> forum I think.
>
> As far as I know, on Spitfire/Herald heads:
>
> One can distinguish two different heads used on the standard SC-
> (SC = Small Car) engines (and three rare types used on racing engines)
> during the time between circa 1962 and 1980. They have been seen in
> many different applications with different valve sizes and compression
> ratio related measurements on head thickness and combustion chamber
> volume.
>
> The original head on the 1147cc engine in Herald 1200, 12/50 and in
> Spitfire Mk1 and Mk2 had two inlet ports, four exhaust ports, eleven
> head studs, a brass pipe fitted into the head as "cooling water
> distributor" and exposed pipes for the push rods to pass through.
>
> This head was supplemented by the rare types, all for 1147cc engines:
> The three types of eight port heads used in racing, rallying and
> tuning of the 1147cc engine.
>
> The one most commonly seen is the so called "Stage II head" with its
> spark plugs leaving the head at 90 degree angle to the longitudinal
> line of the head. This head was cast in iron and sold as an accessory
> to people and organisations wanting to tune the 1147cc engine.
> To be able to accomodate the extra intake ports they cut two of the
> head studs short, about 3/4 in, and put the nuts on them in two small
> niches grafted into the head, below the intake ports! How genuinely
> British! They are rare but not extinct. I've seen at least three, all
> at the same time...
>
> The other types are rare. No, make that VERY rare!
> These heads are the two types made for the factory racing/rallying
> effort in the mid sixties. They are most easily distinguished by the
> fact the spark plugs exit the head at another angle to the longitudi-
> nal line of the head. They were cast in both iron and aluminium alloy.
> The alloy heads were used on the rally cars and the iron ones on the
> racing cars. Not much in common with the Stage II heads, exept the fact
> the factory homologated them via the declared sale of enough
> numbers of Stage II heads. Probably a slight exaggeration... ;-)
> They are extremely rare. I've never seen any of them. If anyone have
> one for sale, call me!!! Collect call from Brisbane, Bolivia, what
> ever... I'll accept it!
>
> Then there is the so called later head, used on the Herald 13/60,
> the Spitfire Mk3, MkIV and 1500. (And on lots of other cars that
> Triumph blessed with the 1296cc/1493cc engines.) They had four intake
> and four exhaust ports, 10 head studs. It had no separate water
> distributor as it, and the pushrod tubes, were integral in the casting.
> It was delivered with different valve diameters along the years as
> well as compression ratios and exit holes for the heater feed, but
> [...]
Odd,

How in the world do you expect to get a thread going if you say in one
EMAIL all there is to say on the subject.  And you just about said it
all.

I guess we will have to get back to dictors or the like.

OH, BTW, Heard on the street recently, "No, I didn' say he was a
proctologist, I merely stated that he is an Ass Hole Doctor."

Regards,

Joe Curry     '63 Spit